Monday, June 1, 2015

Hannah's International Flight

It was 9:57 when we left our driveway to head to the Detroit metro Airport. I was beyond excited to start my journey to Russia. Ever since my parents led a mission trip to Ukraine, I have had a strong desire to explore the Russian and European culture. When we arrived at the airport my parents said their final goodbyes and watched me pass through security. This was only my second time flying on an airplane, and my first time flying by myslef. I was a little nervous about navigating the flights alone, but very excited to have the opportunity to travel overseas. My parents are so amazing!
                                             
When I found my spot on the Lufthansa airline, I was very shocked at how nice the economy seats were. I sat next to a window, which was very cool because I was able to take pictures of all the different countries I flew through. I also had a cool TV screen where I could watch/listen to movies, tv shows, music, the radio, flight information, and my favorite...the safety video (which apparently Maddie told me no one watches). On the flight, I sat next to this very nice lady named Lillac, who was traveling back home to Isreal after surprising her brother in the States for his 40th birthday. I really enjoyed talking with her. She told me a little bit about her son and the kind of things people do for fun in Isreal. My sister Kailee is interested in the Hebrew language so I asked if she would write me a couple things in her native language. She wrote the names of my entire family, as well as the Hebrew alphabet in my notebook. I got very lucky to sit next to such a nice person on the plane. It definitely made the plane ride much more enjoyable. I arrived in Frankfort at about 6:20 and had to make a connecting flight to Moscow at 7:00. By the time I got to the gate they were already boarding the airline. That was a close layover! When I got on the Moscow airplane I was disappointed to find that the seats were not as nice as my previous filght, and I no longer had a movie screen. For a second I thought I was on the wrong flight. It worked out okay though because I got in about a 2 hour nap before I landed in Moscow. After I made it through "customs" in the Moscow airport I was soooo excited to see Mrs. Kris and Maddie waiting for me on the other side of the green door! It was amazing to see them both! I then got to ride on a train back to the metro station. I think it was close to about 5:00 when we arrived at the metro station. Not a good time to be on the metro for the first time with 3 bags of luggage. After getting off the metro I made it back to the embassy compound. In front of the compound is one of the seven sisters buildings, which left a good first impression on me of the city of Moscow. I was so glad to be with the Fabers, and very proud that I had made it through my first international flight. I am so excited to get to know the Russian culutre, and begin exploring Moscow! 
                                       



Some Funny Things I Experienced While On The Plane:
1. I dropped my water bottle next to the side of the seat. It was dark in the plane so I had a hard time looking for it. When I finally found it I grabbed it tightly and began to pull it out of the crack. Unfortunately that was not actually my water bottle, it was the leg of the person behind me. That was embarassing!
2. When the flight attendants came around with their beverage carts they asked me what I would like to drink. Everytime they did this I answered "water." They would then repeat, "water still?" Very confused I then replied "Yes, I still want water." I told the Fabers about this one night while eating dinner, and they laughed as they explained to me how many people drink sparkling water in Russia, which is different than still water. 
3. On the Moscow flight I sat next to a Russian man who kept fallling asleep. Everytime a flight attendant came around to clean up his trash he would jump a thousand miles. I tried so hard not to laugh, but I am pretty sure he caught me smiling at him a couple times.

-Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment