Sunday, March 15, 2009

A visit from home!



We had a fabulous time when my parents were able to come visit us this summer. The kids and I drove up to Auckland and picked my parents up from the airport. We had so looked forward to this visit with them. We took them on a whirl-wind tour of the North Island visiting Waitomo caves, Rotorua, and driving home through Lake Waikeremoana.
I had not yet driven the road through the lake mountains but had heard it was something I needed to do while here. Looking at the map I decided that this would be the route home despite the fact that we were going through very windy mountain roads, 50 miles of it unsealed (gravel) in a 9 passenger van. I began to get a little worried as we crossed a sealed (paved) bridge and realized we were still bumping up and down. A glance in the rearview mirror confirmed my suspissions. We had a flat tire. There was no shoulder to pull over on so we just stopped 1/2 way between two curves and began the change. Fortunately another car did come by and help my dad change the tire!
During the 2 weeks at our house my parents got to take a helicopter ride, see dolphins in the ocean, play on the beach, hike, sit in hot pools, and visit Gisborne and Napier. We had friends over to meet them and enjoyed showing them our little town. We dined on fish n' chips, fresh lobster caught by Chad, fresh vension from a friend and pippies (small clams) from another friend. It felt so good to share our life with my parents. Now talking on the phone is so different as they can actually picture what I am talking about or where I am sitting.
After 2 1/2 weeks Elena & I took them to Wellington for a few days. Blondely following GPS we did another crazy route with my dad hanging on for dear life in the passanger seat! I was able to see more things in Wellington including riding the cable car up the mountain and exploring the coast.
Leaving them at the airport was especially difficult. As Elena said "goodbye" and turned around to leave, the tears began trickling down her cheeks. I picked her up and quietly walked to the car. During the 8 hours driving home I began to wonder it my parents had really been here or was it all just a very good dream? We miss our family and friends from MI so much yet I realize that when we leave here there are people we will miss dearly as well. A little part of us has been left in each place we have lived. But I would rather have a bit of me enriched and left than not have those special times with people in the first place.

No Worries - Kris

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful memories. The kids are growing taller! Damon is almost as tall as you. You'll get to have another summer when you come back to MI. The kids will have 2 seasons off from school ( which makes up for having 2 school seasons in a row, I suppose!)

    ReplyDelete