Thursday, July 28, 2011

Doing it Myself

I have made a goal for myself to accomplish one new or major thing per day. That is pretty much what I can handle before I flop on a chair done in.
Today Chad was out of town and there were a few things I needed to take care of at the Embassy. I have only been into the Embassy twice up to this point and both times I went in with Chad. I wasn't brave enough to tackle this 100% by myself so I begged Maddie to come with me. The Porterio of the apartment called us a taxi. (Thank goodness, I will have to do another whole blog at some point on getting a taxi here!) I told him I wanted the "buscar" or employee entrance. "Si, Si" he says. I have learned that this is not a very reliable confirmation. He got us within the vicinity of the Embassy and pointed it out. I kept my eye on that American flag flying high as it took another 15 min. through the traffic to make it to the entrance.
Well "buscar" must also mean "I am a Colombian needing a visa into America" entrance. We paid, got out and stood there on the sidewalk looking forlornly at the long lines of people on the outside of the fence just waiting to get into the Embassy. I pulled out my badge and walked past all the lines straight up to the gate. I waved down a guard inside and pushed my badge through the bars. He squinted and sauntered over realizing that I was not a poor, helpless person on the outside but rather I was actually supposed to be on the inside. He let me into the courtyard which was filled with lines of people waiting for an open window to speak to a consular. I still had no idea where I was and had to wander around asking 2 more people how to get to the inside of the Embassy.
Of course I made it in and found my way to the bank, post office and medical office to take care of business. It was so refreshing to get into the medical section and see a few familiar faces. Just the warmth of their smiles gave me the encouragement I needed. After 10 trips back and forth between the Clo office and the Commissary express I had Elena correctly signed up and paid for to go to a kids summer party. Last stop was the Commissary to stock up on a few things I can't find in the grocery store then on to Motor pool to have a taxi called. Amazingly many employees in the Embassy don't speak English. Isn't this the one place I am supposed to be able to get around without waving my hands all over the place to communicate? Anyway, he told me where I was supposed to go to get the taxi. I had no idea how to get there. I tried to ask, but no English. I walked to another desk with someone in a uniform who of course didn't speak English either. After much head shaking he picked up the phone and called someone who did speak English. Seriously???? How in the world am I supposed to ask someone to give me directions from where I am when I don't know where that is to the place I want to go? Maddie and I eventually made it out of the Embassy and into the taxi. I handed him my address not even having the energy any more to make an attempt at pronouncing it.
Nothing feels as good as home after a morning like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment