Saturday, April 14, 2012

Watching the "Cumbre de las Americas"


I'm sitting on the couch watching the dignitaries enter the “Summit of the Americas” or “Cumbre de las Americas”. I never watch the news and wouldn't care about this gathering of Presidents from 32 countries in the Americas except that it is taking place in Cartagena this year.
The conference is held every 3ish years to discuss topics such as: trade relations, the war on drugs and the environment. These, the most powerful people in the world, gather to discuss policies and relations that have a trickle-down effect into my life.
The embassy here in Bogota has been focused on this event for the last 6 months. Planning, meetings and trips to Cartagena have affected every employee. Many families have known their spouse would be in Cartagena for some task – whether making sure a Senator's luggage makes it to his hotel, working a security detail or like my man, making sure any American who drinks water from the tap gets anti-diarrhea medicine!
The streets have been cleared and security is at it's highest. I'm watching armored SUV's pull up to the center. The Colombian Navy in their dress whites stand in salute guarding the red carpet as the Presidents get out of their vehicles and ascend the long stairway. At the top they are greeted by President Santos before entering. For an hour I text with my man who is inside the convention center. As I watch the dignitaries on TV, he comments about them as they pass.
Chad in front of "The Beast" - the Pres. limo
A limo pulls up displaying the Colombian flag in one corner and the American flag in the other. The presidential seal is on the door and I feel a smile spread across my face. The leader of our country.
Erica by huge bouquet in convention center.
The Presidents have entered the center so now the cameral follows them through the long hallways to the hall. Cream marble and the Navy in salute silently speak of the powerful presence represented there. The journey is long and each President with only a spouse to accompany them walks alone.
They enter the hall to a room-full of people snapping pictures. I see phones and i pads held up to take pictures of each President. I search the crowd to see if I recognize anyone. Then Obama enters and half the hall puts down their phone to applaud.
Hmmm... If I was there would I want my one glimpse of the President to be through the lens of my camera, or with my own baby blues?
The convention begins with Shakira singing the Colombian national anthem. It's the first time I've heard it sung and am glad Elena was sitting with me to tell me who was singing what! I text my husband. “Shakira?” Yep, he's back-stage and she just walked passed him.
He texts me "where's Obama sitting?"  From the vantage point of the tv I'm able to see head-on where he is.  "Front row, left of the middle."  I text back.  Silence.  Then "I'm peaking through the curtain and I can see him.  I'm like 30 feet from the President!"  Wow.  It's fun to live in the moment of exhilaration.
This won't make me start watching politics on a regular basis, but I think I'll pull-out the quilt I'm working on and stay tuned for a few hours.

- Kris

1 comment: