Monday, January 25, 2016

Snow

As we read and listened to warnings of snow storm Jonas hitting the East coast of America, we had a bit of excitement of our own.  Snow in Taiwan.  It's been cold here and I feel like I've been whining and complaining as if I had never experienced cold or snow before.  I'm from Michigan and lived in Russia, for goodness sake!  I can take a bit of cold.  But it's been a different because I'm not dressed appropriately.  My Moscow clothes are all packed away in sealed bags, under boxes of other unused items, in the storage room in the apartment building's garage.  It's too much of a hassle when temperatures are supposed to be back in the low 70's by the end of the week.  Proper clothing is really what's important if one wants to enjoy being outside in the cold.  
But despite a lack of proper attire, floods of people headed up the mountain to experience snow in the Taipei area.  7.5" were reported near the airport.  Temperatures here in Taipei dropped to 4C, the lowest they've been in 44 years, and the second lowest ever.  Snow was seen falling here in Taipei, the first time in 80 years.  Over 52 people have died, mainly from hypothermia.  It's a country that just is not prepared for this type of weather.
Photos of little snowmen appeared on facebook and I was pleasantly surprised by this little snowman just outside my apartment this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment