Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Art Deco Days


Art Deco Days in Napier was one of the most favorite things I have experienced here in New Zealand. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and although I know my words will be plentiful here, I hope the many photos and videos will help bring the day to life. It happened in the summer, in February, yet I have not written about it because I know there is no way I can do it justice.
We began the day with the sun shining during our 1 1/2 hr. drive to Napier. As I have said before, Napier was destroyed in an earthquake in the 1930's and rebuilt in the Art Deco style. Our first stop was the old Tobacco Co. building where we had a tour of the interior of the building. From there we headed downtown where we would spend the rest of the day.
We spent a bit of time walking around, soaking in the atmosphere. So many people had thrown themselves into the spirit of things by dressing to the style of the era. There was a women's choral group singing old war songs, a jazz street group, an organ grinder complete with a monkey. People strolling along, standing and listening and finding seats to enjoy the show.
We wandered along and found a good corner to enjoy the upcoming auto parade. Over 200 antique cars, shined to perfection rolled past. I was told 12 containers from America arrive each year with cars for the parade. The NZ Navy marched past as they do each year in commemoration of the Navy's response and aid during the 1930's disaster. Of course no auto show would be complete without the rebel bike group to stir things up!

After the auto parade it was time to lay back and relax a bit. A glass of freshly squeezed lemonade hit the spot. Chad and the kids found a shady spot under a tree to read a book. There was a tent set up with women getting their hair done for evening dancing and dinners.
I found my way over to the band shelter where a band was playing on stage while a time era fashion show was going on. People were swing dancing to the music while women were strutting their stuff on stage. I leaned back with one eye on the ocean, one eye on the stage, the music playing, and wind in my face. Out of nowhere a WWII plane came swooping down. What a show zig zagging across the sky! I was sad to see this day come to an end, but like all good things, it must. I am glad I was able to take a bit of time to step back into time and experience the days gone by.

No comments:

Post a Comment