Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Gingerbread Houses


Maddie came to me in the fall asking if we could make a gingerbread house this Christmas.  We love creating in the kitchen together so the idea seemed brilliant.  She wrote Grandma and asked her to bring the candy to decorate.  I emailed a friend who sent me her recipe and all the tips she has gained over 17 years of making houses.  We scoured the internet looking for patterns and directions.  The houses we looked at were gorgeous and began to overwhelm me so I decided we must start more simply.  Rather than one large house I determined that it would be much less complicated to make several small houses.  What was I thinking?   Thus began our multi day adventure creating a village.

- Kris
Step 1:  prepare the pans with baking paper
Mix the dough
Cut out pieces
Bake the pieces
Glueing houses together.

At this point everyone became involved with trying to get the frosting to glue!
Decorating day began with a little visitor, Gabriella.
This was the perfect project to keep all girls occupied for a day!
We began to get crafty.
We found that frosting and candy covered a multitude of sins.

Putting the last few touches on.
Elena, Kris, Grandma & Maddie 

No comments:

Post a Comment