Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Quiet Morning at the Jim Thompson House


Today I took a little time to wander by myself over to the Jim Thompson house.  I’m enjoying how easy it is to get around this city by the elevated train.  Jim Thompson was an American who served in Asia in WWII.  He fell in love with Thailand and returned there after the war.  He founded a cottage industry silk company.  He mysteriously disappeared in 1967. 
His home is amazing.  He used parts of country homes and assembled them in Bangkok.  He desired to keep an authentic feel to the space, yet mix in surfaces and structures in a western manner.  The moment I stepped foot on the estate a sense of peace surrounded me.  I’m sure when he built his home there was not a high rise building butted up next to it or speed boats flying down the canal in the back, but the gardens and well planned space blocked all that out.
I wandered back to the hotel in time to catch a group of spouses headed out for a massage.  Thai massages can be a bit rough so I stuck with the foot massage.  Very relaxing and at only $10 for an hour!  A man a few chairs over was so relaxed he began snoring.  I got a bit of a giggle out of that!

- Kris


Silk Cocoons


No comments:

Post a Comment