Sunday, March 31, 2013

Longtail Boat Ride

Long-tail Boat
A great way to get around Bangkok is on a taxi or long-tail boat ride.  I had already done short stints on a taxi so this morning a few of us decided to hire a long-tail boat just for the experience and view.  I was surprised at the speed the boat picked up with a breeze keeping us cool in the sweltering heat.  Long-tail boats are long and narrow with a long motor sticking out the back.  Painted in bright colors, the sacred bow is adorned with flowers.

I was constantly started at the contrast in one glimpse.  Poverty, high rises and glided temples.


A woman selling trinkets from her boat approached us.




We stopped at a snake farm which turned out to be the saddest zoo I have ever seen.  Animals were kept in small, cement cages with only a bowl of food and water.  It was hot and humid with no comfort for the animals.  I did hold a python.  Snakes are not my favorite thing so it took a bit of gumption on my part.  I did fine until I suddenly imagined that it was choking me then I had to wrestle myself to safety!  They had a cobra show.  You couldn't pay me enough to take that job.  At the end of the show they milked the venom from the cobras.  I was surprised at how much liquid was in the cup from just one extraction.  



With over 400 temples in Bangkok alone we were continually passing them along the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment