Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Florence

Everything I read led me to believe that Florence would be my favorite city in Italy.  "The cradle of Italian Renaissance."  "One of the most beautiful cities in Europe."  "...dazzling historical past."  Well, it didn't do it for me.  Yes, the historic city center is charming and filled with culture.  But the greater city feels worn out 60's.  It didn't hold the appeal to me that other cities in Italy do.
The Duomo of Santa Maria del Fiore is the amazing church in the city center.  The marble work on the exterior took 120 years to complete.  It may be the only Gothic building in Florence.  I don't know.  In contrast the interior is surprisingly spartan.  The main attraction is the dome.


Everyone goes to Florence to see David.  It was hot and we were at a point in the trip where we had seen lots of things.  We walked to the museum only to find a line snaking around the block.  I asked someone how long they had waited and 3 hrs. was the reply.  Not worth it to me.  But it was worth it to stand in the sun for 3 hrs. to Damon and Elena.  So we left them to get some gelato and met again later in the day.  According to them it was totally worth it.  They were in awe of seeing a statue they have heard and read about.  I'm glad they were old enough for me to leave on their own!
The bridge over the river is very pretty and the shopping is nice.  
Goodbye Florence, I don't think I'll be seeing you again.


No comments:

Post a Comment