Friday, June 12, 2015

Goodbye Moscow

Being able to explore another culture has been such an incredible experience. I cannot express how thankful I am to the Fabers and my parents for giving me such an amazing opportunity. Throughout the course of my trip I have experienced the beauty of Russia, and the pride its country has. I have enjoyed exploring the city and learning more about the history of its nation. There is a lot of culture within Russia, and I am so thankful I was able to experience it personally. I have enjoyed trying to overcome the challenges that arise while being in a foreign country. I have learned so much in the past couple weeks, and I would not trade my experiences for anything in the world. I am very sad that I have to say goodbye to Moscow tomorrow, but I hold on to the hope that someday I will be able to visit again. I am so grateful that God has blessed me with such amazing people, who have allowed me to explore more of His creation. I will remember this trip as long as I live.


This is a List of Things I Experienced for the First Time While in Russia: 
*flying alone and flying internationally 
*riding the metro - the first time I swiped my metro card I could not figure out how to do it so the guards had to come help me so I would stop holding up the line
*riding in a train
*riding a public bus
*being in a foreign country overseas
*touring/seeing a palace
*seeing onion domes
*touring cathedral churches
*watched a rated R movie - The Matrix
*seeing a circus
*touring a music conservatory
*experiencing a brand new culture

These are Various Foods I Tried Over the Course of My Visit:
   *Indian
-butter chicken 
-chicken vindaloo 
-chicken biriani
-samosa - bread stuffed with mysterious vegetables and meat 
-naan - soft pita bread 
   *Georgian
-xinkali - dumpling filled with juice and meat
-khachapuri - cheese pizza bread
-chicken 
-cream soda
-tarragon cream soda
-eggplant roll
   *Russian
-syrniki - cottage cheese pancake
-borsch - beet soup
-hot chocolate - Americans drink hot cocoa, Russians drink hot chocolate
-dill salad - salad made only of pickles (not good)
-pelmeni - dumplings
-blini - Russian crepes
-shashlik - meat on a stick
-chak chak (national Russian sweet)
-Russian chocolate
   *Baked
-chocolate and vanilla ballet cupcakes
-homemade chocolate chip vanilla malts
-homemade mint oreo chocolate ice cream
-tiramisu
-edible cookie dough balls
-puppy chow
-no-bake cookies
-zucchini bread





Cultural Things I Noticed:
*Russians like synchronized clapping - Elena pointed this out to me  : )
*Russians like carrying bouquets of flowers - Maddie and I counted 107 throughout the two weeks I was here
*babushkas are old Russian women - sometimes very tough and grumpy
*Moscow is very into Ballet - the Bolshoi theater is famous for its 4 degree incline making it easier to see all the dancers
*a lot of Russians can speak English - it is becoming a universal language
*many Russians are quiet and quick on the metro
*a lot of Russian women have bangs cut straight across their face
*many Russian women wear high heels ALL THE TIME 
*the parks are very well kept and beautiful
*you are required to wear a headscarf in many traditional churches - babushkas also like to wear them
*Russians really like dill, they put it on everything
*they have a lot of culture as far as traditional clothing and objects
*some of the buildings look old and beat up on the outside, but are very nice on the inside
*lots of cigarette smoking
*not many places to buy clothing
*metro system is amazing and well cared for
*metro is very busy during rush hour - we were all waddling like penguins   
*lots of history and monuments in Russia
*very proud of their country - a lot of people wore Russia shirts, especially from the Olympics 
Park Pobedy (Victory Park)

The Bolshoi


St. Isaac's Cathedral



~ Hannah (Thank You Fabers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment