Wednesday, July 30, 2008

McDonalds





To say "I love McDonald's" is an understatement.  A double cheeseburger, french fries and coke does more than just fill me up.  It is comfort food.  It makes me feel warm, happy, relaxed.  It invokes memories of high school away games, traveling on the bus and stopping for dinner.  The excitement of the game just played, the fun with friends.  French fries being flicked around.  Then as a young mom meeting a friend at McDonald's while letting the kids loose in the play area.  We would talk for hours sipping a cheap cup of cappuccino, conversation flowing.  Fortunately I made it though that time of life without a case of hand, foot, and mouth disease!  In recent years McDonald's brings memories of traveling with the kids and my sister to visit my parents.  Jenny and I would pile out of the van with all these kids in tow.  We mainly stopped because Jenny knows this is my favorite restaurant and she took pity on me!  The cousins would all cram into a booth together, Jenny and I would sit at a different table - peace for a few minutes before we all crammed back into the van.
I actually only ate at McDonald's once a month because I knew that more often would be a slow death to my body.  My last meal at McDonald's before we left was with intention.  I knew the day I would need to have a quick meal and I looked forward to it for 2 weeks.  I decided because of time to do the drive-through.  I pulled up to the order machine and said "double cheeseburger value meal with catsup only."  I paid and pulled away with my meal in a bag.  I was truly in heaven anticipating this last meal.  I pulled onto the road, opened my sandwich and took a bite.  They had totally messed up my order.  Everything was put on the sandwich and the catsup was left off.  I had no time to go back and correct the order.  I wanted to cry as I ate my messed up burger.  My last McDonald's and it was so disappointing.  
Yes, they do have McDonald's here in New Zealand.  The closest one is a 1 1/2 hr. drive.  Seven weeks with no McDonald's - my blood is running thin.  This past week I took the kids to Napier for the day.  We packed sack lunches and had a picnic on the beach.  We went to the aquarium, did some shopping.  Late afternoon the kids were complaining that they were hungry.  I had no resolve left.  We were going to McDonald's.  I pulled in and began to feel my toes twinkle, an energy running through me.  We opened the doors and the heavens sang - Ahh, Ahh, Ahh!  My jaw dropped on the ground.  It was huge!  I was like a little kid in a candy shop.  To the left was "McCafe".  A glass case with tortes and cheesecakes.  A real cappuccino machine.  Ahead of me was the restaurant.  They had some funky sandwiches - no Big Mac rather  a Kiwi burger.  Who wants beetroot on their burger??    I search the menu and YES!  they have a double cheeseburger!  We place our order, we sit down.  I open my sandwich breathing in the greasy scent.  I take a bite.  After seven weeks of onions in hamburger patties, I have finally found some American food.   Everything seems right with the world as we eat our dinner or as they say on this side of the world, tea. 
No worries - Kris

5 comments:

  1. Kris, you are too funny!!
    You need to write this stuff more often!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chad - Don't want to post my email on here..Please give me a quick call and I will give it to you and it will be easier for us to keep in touch..Looks like all of you are enjoying New Zealand and adjusting well. Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow wow wow thats really cool you have diffrent food in your mcdonalds
    monique

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool!That you have different food at mcdonalds.I bet it is a very yummy.
    ~Megan~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story! So, did it taste the same? Was the bun just like ours? How about the catsup? Do you think they import the stuff from America or make something similar there?
    In France you can have wine or beer with your McDo. Anything different that you noticed?

    ReplyDelete