Monday, October 6, 2008

The garden


The house we are living in has a wonderful spot already prepared as a garden.  Now I have never had much of a vegetable garden before, just a "bruschetta garden" - tomatoes & basil.  So I have decided to give a try at gardening.  A friend sent me a unique book on "square foot gardening".  This sounded like a unique and creative method - something I could really get into. I mentioned this to my neighbor behind me shortly after we moved in.  He has an incredible yard of fruit trees and flower gardens with some vegetables mixed in.  He also has a rather large garden out at his son's house.  He wasn't too hip on the square idea, but I went ahead and got some rhubarb and garlic in.  
One day Stew rang me up and stated that he would be stopping by to turn over the garden for me.  I hurriedly got ready to help him out but he would hear none of that.  A week later he called again saying he wanted to take me out plant shopping.  Stew treated me and his wife Val to some coffee and treats then we picked out some lettuce, broccoli & cauliflower plants.  I thought I would get busy planting them, but Stew was a step ahead of me (literally) and made it to the garden first.  He has been over several more times turning over soil, hoeing, and planting seedlings he started.  Each time I have offered to help but Stew says "none of that Kris"!  
This morning we began the summer garden with a trip to the greenhouse.  Tomato plants, seeds, potting soil and a few flowers.  We then headed to Stew and Val's house to split a few of their plants for me and pick up some tools.  Oh, and it was time for a tea break in their garden.  Then Stew and I continued to my house for planting.  I found that planting the flowers I wanted while Stew planted the vegetable garden worked well.  Each time I moved to a new space to turn over some soil Stew would say "I'll get that for you Kris".  Stew suggested that we take on the square foot lines so he could plant a row of carrots.  Sorry April, but I gave up the idea and let Stew go ahead.  We lasted a few hours then Stew said that he would be back on Fri. to turn over and plant the melon area.  Secretly I do want to get my hands in the dirt, but regardless I think I will end up with a fabulous harvest and a good friend!
No Worries - Kris

2 comments:

  1. Kris and Chad. Just read about your garden, laundry, and whitebait experiences, but liked best the one about your kids and the lambs!

    Thanks for writing so faithfully.

    Greetings from Mare and myself in Melilla!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fall is coming on here....I envy your the spring!! We all the tension here about the Election and the Bank Crisis....working in a garden sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete