Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Fush and Chups



I still look at people oddly when they ask if you want to get some "fush and chups" for dinner. You want what? Oh, "fish and chips"!
My friend April knows that I am always on a hunt for good fish and chips! Just the right amount of batter, a little grease soaking the paper, a bit of salt and fish that melts in your mouth. Here in New Zealand, take out fish and chips is the equivalent to take out pizza at home. I have discovered the local fish and chips shop but have found I must limit myself as my system can only handle so much.
Ponderosa is the local shop. It is located in an abandon part of town but the shop is always full of customers. There is plenty to choose from beyond the standard fish. If it's seafood and you want it fried, they have it. We call ahead on a Sat. night and give our order of 8 fish and two scoops (french fries) please. 15 minutes later I walk out with two bundles of steaming food. At home I lay it on the counter, we open the layers of newspaper, get out the Heinz (no New Zealand tomato sauce is going to spoil these chips!) and we dig in. This fish just literally melts in your mouth. I eat it savoring each bite.
One night we decided to really splurge and get dessert as well - a fried Moro bar. A Moro bar is Cadbury's equivalent to a Milky Way. Now whoever thought of battering and frying a candy bar was a bit out of their mind. One bite is good and you think you are in heaven. Two bites are disgusting and you feel like you are in the pit of hell!
I know I will never find fish and chips as good as they are in this little town. It is one of those things that I will add to my list: Sechwan Empire (Chinese food) in Redford; Nachos (Mexican food) in Imlay City and now Ponderosa for fish and chips in Wairoa!

No Worries - Kris

5 comments:

  1. Hey Chad & Kris! I didn't even realize you moved to NZ until I got your C'mas letter! Please email me with your email address so I can send you our Christmas letter and picture. Shirley (Bobshirleyshi@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mouth is Salivating it looks so good! Have one for me. :)
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds wonderful...but the picture didn't look appetizing to me. I'll just believe you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, Sechwan Empire!!
    We need to go next time you are in town!

    ReplyDelete