Sunday, January 4, 2009

Water Skiing



A lot of people have been water skiing but we have not been so lucky. Now that we are in New Zealand we get to experience new things and water skiing is one of them. When we went to the water skiing club they put me in a group with a bunch of little girls and my sisters. Why would they do that to me, put me with my sisters?!? Oh well, it all worked out in the end. They did a short demonstration of how to get up on the skis (on land) and then our group got into the boat. I had to wait because my turn was last. When Elena went she started on the bar (a bar that sticks out the side of the boat for learners to hold onto). The boat started to go and she quickly fell down but was still hanging onto the bar, even after her skis had fallen off her feet (I have know idea why). It was finally my turn. I put on the skis and hopped into the water. With everyone leaning in the boat to one side so that the bar was low enough for me to grab, I grabbed it and scooted my hands down to the end of the bar. I yelled "hit it" and the boat began to go, faster and faster my feet going up and down from the small wake until the boat came to a stop. Then they hooked a short rope to the bar and they handed me the handle. Once again the boat started up and I hung on until they came to another halt. Then they hooked up a really long rope to the back of the boat and handed me the handle. The long rope was fun. I went back and forth and then eventually tried to go over the wake. Finally Maddie went and made it all the way to long rope, then we had lunch. After lunch our group got back into the boat and Elena made it up to short rope. When it was my turn they told me to put on only one ski, I was going to single ski! They started me single skiing on the bar. After doing that they put me on short rope with single ski. Single ski is a lot harder than two skis. That was the end of skiing that day for me, but Maddie skied next on the long rope. After everyone was done skiing they got out the biscuits (inner tubes) and hooked them up to the boats. We had the "meanest" time riding the biscuits, and we were going "fast as"!
That's really all that happened on our day full of water skiing.
~Damon

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You must be very athletic to catch on so quickly. I think it's good that they give you a beginner's bar.

    ReplyDelete