Thursday, August 27, 2009

Scuba at the Great Barrier Reef


On our trip to Australia we went to the Great Barrier Reef. We stayed on a live on board boat for three days. Previously in New Zealand I had gotten my diving license, but diving in new Zealand and diving in Australia are two different things (meaning Australia is better). Here are a few things I thought were amazing about scuba diving at the Great Barrier Reef.

1. You can be under 20 feet and think its only 5-10 feet to the surface.
2. Fish are swimming everywhere!
3. Fish will get really close to you!
4. The Reef is so big, I don't think anyone could ever explore the whole thing.
5. You're always finding new things you didn't see before. (so you will never get bored)
6. There are thousands of different fish, coral, sharks, squid, turtles........ etc.

I only did one dive a day, but my dad did about 13 throughout the whole trip. I saw two sharks. It was really exciting to be swimming with sharks in open water instead of in a pool at Disney where the sharks don't actually have any teeth "for your own safety". Over all I thought scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef was a lot of fun and a great experience.

- Damon

No comments:

Post a Comment