Sunday, June 2, 2013

Funny Faces With the V.P.

Dr. & Vice Presiden Biden with Ambassador and Mrs. McKinley
A week ago the Vice President was in Bogota for a visit.  Chad put lots of extra time into the preparation for this vist in meetings and taking the med. staff to hospitals for inspection.  He's done a few other visits already in his State Dept. career for the Pres. and Sec. but no one has ever taken the time to say "thank-you".  So it was rather meaningful when it was announced that the V.P. would be doing a "meet and greet".
A very fresh looking Dr. and Vice President Biden came straight from the airport to shake hands with us and mingle for an hour before going to their hotel room.  Somehow after I get off an airplane and out of my car I look a bit worse for the wear.  My hair is tousled and make-up thin.  My clothes are quiet wrinkly and I just have a general feel of stuffiness about me.  Not the Bidens.  They were relaxed and spiffy - not a wrinkle on her suit.  I have to admit that since I really don't pay much attention to politics or who's who, I had to google search photos to be sure I was polite to the correct people!
They each gave a speech.  I was particularly impressed with the V.P. who didn't use notes and incorporated many personal Colombia antidotes into his talk.  His thankfulness for the overseas employees really felt genuine, and I appreciated that.
Maddie shaking the VP's hand
Oh Yeah!
They did a great photo op with the kids.  My girls had the hugest smiles after he came over and shook their hands!  We endured a bit of waiting and shoving to make it up to the red rope and shake his hand. I tried desperately to get some great pictures, but I just wasn't quiet tall enough and I really don't have a great knack at capturing the moment with people and expressions.  Damon had the greatest little chat with him about finishing high school and heading off to college.  Every baby in the room was kissed and cuddled.   It was a great experience and definitely goes into our top 10 experiences while in Colombia.

Getting an important message from the VP
Chad throws a comment out of the corner of his mouth
Damon contemplating the answer to "Which college will you be attending?".
Overall my favorite photo with Damon's arm casually slung around the VP!

2 comments:

  1. What great pictures! Your girls are beautiful. Such a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of Damon as well. It looks like he's headed to D.C. someday :)

    ReplyDelete