Sunday, June 30, 2013

Goodbye

I did not expect leaving Colombia to be an emotional experience.  Maybe it was the several weeks of non-stop going, or the continual goodbyes, or the stress of packing all our stuff up once again and sending it off in four shipments, or trying to stuff the remaining items into 10 suitcases and 5 carry ons, or waking up at 3:00 am to be ready for the shuttle pick-up at 3:30 but I was not prepared for the rush of emotions that hit me  as I left the building.
With the kids downstairs ready to go I took one final walk around the now empty apartment and began to cry.  By the time I made it to the elevator I was in full-blown sobbing mode. Chad asked me if I wanted to take a moment to collect myself but I shook my head knowing there was no stopping the water works that had already begun.
I stepped into the lobby and saw the Portero who has been there every day for two years opening the door for me and smiling at my feeble Spanish attempts.  I walked over to him to thank him but instead flung myself into his arms in a big, American bear hug.  This was no polite, social Colombian kiss on the cheek.  I actually think it was more appropriate for my Americaness to come out at this point rather than trying to stay within Colombian custom.  He was so kind as he let me sob my eyes out on his shoulder.
As we drove away the finalness of our life in Colombia really hit me.  I sniffed and let the tears leak out all the way to the airport.  Although it was not my favorite place, I realize the importance of the growth our family experienced during this time and the benefits to other members of my family.  
Adios Colombia.



No comments:

Post a Comment