Sunday, January 5, 2014

Stonehenge

The large rocks arranged at Stonehenge are somewhat of a mystery. Nobody really knows who put them there or how they got them there. When I first heard we were going to London for a few days Stonehenge was one of the sights that I wanted to see the most. I don't know what interested me so much about the rocks but I guess thats how we ended up on the tight tourist bus schedule. The first stop on our all day tour was Windsor Castle and the next Stonehenge.
When we arrived at Stonehenge the guide on our bus informed us that they had changed the setup of viewing Stonehenge a week earlier. The visitor facilities and parking lot were moved from a two minute walk to Stonehenge, to 1.5 miles down the road. When we saw the 45 minute line we were expected to wait in for a bus to the sight we figured it would be faster to walk the 1.5 miles. I was a little worried that our time at the top would be cut short if we arrived later than the people on our bus but we quickly figured that wouldn't be a problem. Two or three buses passed us as we sped walked up the road but not enough to make it to the rest of our group waiting in line.
As we walked, Stonehenge came into view. It was amazing to see the rocks and so interesting to think about. We spent about 20 minutes walking around them and took plenty of pictures. Once again instead of waiting in a ridiculous line we opted for the walk, which wasn't that bad.
Luckily we arrived at the bus with time to spare. I wondered how the people who the waited in the line made it, but I was glad we did. Although it doesn't seem like a lot to look at I enjoyed it very much, and it was defiantly my favorite thing that we saw in England.

No comments:

Post a Comment