Saturday, July 21, 2012

It Helps If You Can Read Spanish


Perusing through the "Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream" book I was excited to try the Chocolate Cherry recipe.  Nothing beats a fresh waffle cone at Grand Haven's board walk with Hudsonville Ice Cream's Traverse City Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream.  Home made ice cream would be a close second.
I bought the ingredients, whipped my eggs, added the sugar, poured in the cream, milk and vanilla.  As a last minute thought I poured the juice from the jar of cherries - to be added later - into the mix.  My mouth was watering as I thought of that extra snap of cherry flavor.  
Following a bad habit I have, I stuck my finger into the mix before pouring it into the ice cream machine and sucked the flavor.
Yuck!  Something went seriously wrong.  A salty, pickled flavor lingered in my mouth.  I grabbed the jar of cherries and stared.  I still had no idea what went wrong.  Taking one out I took a nibble.  Onions.
Now I say that if I could speak Spanish I probably would not have made this mistake, but that's wrong. I never even dreamed of reading the label because what else is the size of a cherry and floating in a red liquid?  If it looks like a cherry it must be a cherry!  NOT!
Fortunately I had enough ingredients to make a batch of vanilla ice cream and my mom had just sent me some m&m's.  Tonight we will enjoy a bowl of home made ice cream!

- Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment