Friday, July 13, 2012

The Amazing Amazon Adventure - Day 5

Laying in bed my mind turned to packing-up and heading home.  I admit I was a bit ready to be done with the "primitive living" and happy to get back to my bed without mosquito netting, a warm shower and food I truly enjoy.
With a pile of clothes in hand I bent down to put them in my suitcase only to discover that termites had found their way into our cabin and built mud mounds all over the suitcases.  Fortunately everyone's suitcase was closed so the damage was only done to the outside.  I dragged mine outside and slammed it against the walkway several times trying dislodge the bugs that were crawling all over the outside and to break off their new homes.  I was amazed at the work these little bugs could do in one night.  Large homes were built all over.  Getting rid of the mud and bugs I packed up and had some breakfast.
We got into the boat for our last journey down the river.  Four white herons led our way through the maze of waterways.  Flying ahead, waiting for us in trees then lifting off with graceful flight to continue leading us.
The kids, a bit dehydrated, laid down in the boat.  I sat in the front saying "goodbye" to the birds and dolphins.  The breeze kept me cool.  We went down a little waterway that was a "shortcut" on the river.   The waterway which would be dried up within a week saved us an hour on our journey.


We stopped in a modern town along the river in Brazil.  The town was built on stilts to protect it from the flooding.  Andrew stayed behind, not feeling well.  We ordered some lunch.  I got the wild game suggested by our guide.  A thick, fatty skin gave the meat a savory flavor.  I pulled off another piece then "crunch".  Thinking I had bitten into a piece of bone I spit it into my hand.  A bullet.  Truly organic meat probably caught earlier that morning!

We returned to the boat to find Andrew puking over the edge.  After 6 hours traveling down rivers we landed in Laticia, got a taxi back to the airport, got our very weary selves on the plane and said "goodbye" to the Amazon.
I wouldn't trade this adventure for a more plush trip.  To experience the Amazon in the raw and understand what it means to survive in this place was priceless.  It is one thing to watch a documentary on Discovery Channel and quiet another to tramp through the thick mud, jump in the river and grab a cayman, take a cold shower, live without electricity, watch a breathtaking sunset while being hit by jumping fish and be dive/bombed by a humming bird while sitting on the toilet.

- Kris

If you are  interested in visiting the Amazon via Laticia here are some guides and hotels to check out:

Heliconia - this is the company we stayed with.  They took care of every detail from airport pick-up to a guide, meals and lodging in their Eco-hotel.  I highly recommend them if you are in the adventurous spirit!
http://www.amazonheliconia.com/

Our guide has his own tour company with a home in Laticia he rents.  I would suggest him as a tour-guide as well.
tuirupu.blogspot.com


Our friends recommend their tour guide who is a native Ticuna. 
Anibal Aspajo Montes: 313-231-8678.


Another local tour company is:
 Pastor Orlando Rodriquez and his wife, Auri orlandorodriguez63@yahoo.com






No comments:

Post a Comment