Friday, August 31, 2012

La Bottega

Chad and I have been getting out every few weeks for a dinner or breakfast without the kids.  Kids are great and friends are great, but really I most enjoy my time with just him.  It's more relaxing and it's more us.
While wandering the market in Usaquen one Sunday I stopped to admire a building that always grabs my attention.  It's white with bright blue shutters.  Flowers in window boxes add another splash of color.  As I was taking in all the color and texture I noticed the tile roof of the restaurant next door.  Sitting on the roof was an antique bicycle.  I was intrigued.  I looked closer and saw it was an Italian restaurant.  We peeked in, noted the name and went dining there last weekend.
The first thing of note is the intimate setting of the long, narrow space.  We chose the back of the restaurant next to a wall of wine.  We were intrigued with all the full bottles stacked against the wall.  Upright bottles next to each section showcased the type of wine being stored there.  Throughout the evening we noticed waiters consistently going to different sections of the long wall and grabbing a bottle.  I love that this was the actually storage and not all old bottles put there for ambiance!
In America we tend to think that all the food in Italy is the same.  It's obviously all like Olive Garden.  But the truth is that each section of Italy has their own style of cuisine.  Here in Bogota I've noticed that Italian restaurants seem to showcase one distinct area of Italy on their menu.  Sadly I don't remember what section of Italy the owner told us the menu focused on but the entrees  all sounded delicious.
We decided to get two and split because several things sounded so good.  I went with the risotto and Chad with a polenta with a marinara sauce and chorizo.  The risotto had more of a wild grain feel to it which was a nice twist.  We both enjoyed our meals very much.
Dessert was excellent as well.  Again they were a bit different than what I typically see.  Chad tried the tiramisu.  He will only give it a try if it is made in the restaurant.  It was definitely the best we have tried here in Bogota, but still a bit different than what I make here at home.  Considering it takes 1/2 a day to make my tiramisu  recipe, I consider it authentic!  I had a fabulous three chocolate mousse.
Following the dessert they brought a platter with heavy bottles with various liquors.  Just looking at the bottles with the heavy stoppers  brought a final elegance to the meal.
Enjoy!
Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment