Wednesday, June 29, 2016

A gift

At the end of every day at the CRCA, we had devotions and songs (all in Swahili). It was always a good end to a full day. After that, everyone made their rounds of goodnight hugs before heading off to bed. As I was enjoying the bedtime ritual one night, I lost myself in all the hugs. I was completely unaware what was happening when one of the kids placed something in my hand. I instinctively accepted the scratchy feeling, gum ball sized, object. I raised my hand up to see what I was holding to find a huge beetle. All I could do was let out a choked scream and throw it out of my hand before I went running! The mischievous boys just about fell to the floor with laughter. Apparently it was funny enough to torture the white girls with beetles, that they continued to do so for the rest of the night. And all the nights following that.

No comments:

Post a Comment