Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The road

The Buists decided that while in Kenya, I needed to go on a safari. So we loaded our stuff into a van and, along with a Kenyan driver/guide, set out. Our expected journey  was 5 hours. It took us nearly 8. Unfortunately a rain storm started after we were a few hours in. After you get away from the city, there are only dirt roads. A mixture of the pre-existing potholes and the mud from the rain caused us many troubles. Our driver took the puddles and holes slow, but several times we got stuck. Our tires dug into the soft mud and spun vigorously with no avail. In the pouring rain the men were all out of the car and pushing in the mud. As the line of cars waiting behind us grew, so did the amount of helping hands. As Anna and I stood out in the rain and watched, I counted 8 men pushing, plus a driver that was not even our own. After we managed to get out and onto some safer terrain, our driver made sure we waited until all of the other cars were safely through. We continued our drive tentatively, but I was reassured knowing that if it were to happen again, we would have plenty of help. Later in the car our driver informed us that he had had to pay some of the local men who had helped. It surprised me a bit, but I realized they'll charge you for a photo, they'll charge you for something you don't want to buy, and they'll even charge you for their help. I guess I can't complain though!



No comments:

Post a Comment