Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Driving

Driving on the wrong, I mean left side of the road has been a bit interesting. Chad had to throw himself right into it picking up the rental car in downtown Aukland. As the passenger there were times during the drive here that I felt as though I was going to fall off the road and would need to remind him to get a little more towards the center. I started out driving right here in Wairoa. A nice little town to practice in. Not only are the cars on the opposite side of the road, the steering wheel is on the opposite side as well as the turn signal control. In the effort to concentrate on the side of the road we are driving on we don't think about the turn signals, so inevitably when we stop to turn we put the windshield wipers on instead of the turn signal! Chad makes a little "Urgh" sound. One time I was doing some errands. I went back out to the car and got in. I sat there a moment before realizing that I was sitting in the passengers seat and was obviously not going to get anywhere! I felt like a fool getting out of the car and going around to the driver's side. The first few days when I was driving I would repeat to myself "stay on the left, stay on the left". Then it petered down to just when I was turning " get in the left lane, get in the left lane." Yesterday I had a lot on my mind with registering the kids for school and getting uniforms and school supplies so my mind wasn't really on the left lane thing. Next thing you know I was driving in the right lane. About scared the kids to death! I still need to repeat "stay in the left lane"! We are starting to make fewer mistakes and begining to look like locals, but for today I think the kids and I will walk to the library!
No Worries - Kris

1 comment:

  1. Kris,
    I am sitting here, drinking chai tea in front of my computer and enjoying all your descriptions of food. When you want something familiar....it can be frustrating. Maybe that's the time to get out the peanut butter & jelly!
    But I admire your adventurous spirit! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete