Monday, June 23, 2008

New Zealand words


New Zealand is a different place than America and it has different words too.  When people are talking it is hard to understand not just because of their accent but also because of the different words too!  For an example when I was talking to my friend I asked her if she would hold the string for me so that I could braid the string together she said that they called it a plat, but she still held the string for me nicely while I braided it!!!  In school I was helping my friend with a project and I asked her if she would like to have some bangs and she did not know what I was talking about so I showed her what I meant and she said we call it fringe! On the first weekend I was not in school I had my friend and her sister over.  We were playing kings and queens.  Finally I asked them if they wanted to jump rope but they did not call it jumping rope they called it skipping so we went and skipped!!!  When I was in school one day the teacher was at the front of the classroom.  I was writing in my book and I made a mistake.  I asked my friend for an eraser she gave me a normal eraser but she said it was called a rubber.  I took the rubber from her and used it to erase my mistake!  I was in my school and my friend and I were outside making sure that no one did anything to my paper-mache.  A lot of people came up to us and asked us what was inside of it.  I said candy and my friend said "yes it's lollies inside" (that's when I found out that candy were lollies).  I knew it was not true - we were just making it up!  But I soon got sick of it and we finally we wanted them to go away (well at least I did) so I said that there was just paper inside of it!  My dad got invited to a rugby game and the lady that invited him said that Damon could go too.  When they got there they soon found out that the games were not called a game it was called a test!  Before we got to New Zealand we already knew a couple of words that would be different here and the words were:  
biscuits=cookies 
chips=fries
scone=biscuits.
Our family started telling each other what words we found out that were different than our own words so my mom got the idea to start a list of words that were different.  These are some that came from other people in the family:
ice blocks=popsicle
jersey=wool sweater
togs=swimsuit
chile bin=X box
jandels=flip fops
meanest=cool
ring=call
lollie pop=sucker
rubbish bin=trash bin (you would find out right away)
growl=scolding!
Those are all the ones we know right now.
-Elena

7 comments:

  1. Very interesting Elana!
    Keep us updated with new words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kool very interesting
    ♥monique♥(call me)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds very different! and fun!:)love the pictures



    Megan Rookus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun learning the different words and culture!!!

    Megan Rookus

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you keep it all staight? Do you just use the New Zealand words now? That would be easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would get confused with all of the different words....... AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    -Random Kid

    ReplyDelete