Friday, June 20, 2008

Tea


I am learning that there are many meanings to the word "tea" here in New Zealand.  Damon went to squash practice the other afternoon with a friend from school.  The mother rang me and asked if I would mind if she picked up some fish and chips for Damon's tea.  In a bit of confusion I said this would be fine.  Listening closer as people are talking I have found that "supper" is referred to as "tea".  
Another reference to tea would be "morning tea".  I have had several invitations to morning tea and this is a somewhat formal affair.  I have been assured that Kiwis are very informal and relaxed with their tea, yet each time it has been a treat for me. Cups and saucers are matched with place mats and napkins.  Sugar and cream are set out with the tea.  Then the food is brought in.  Little sandwiches, sweet breads, crackers with hot sauce and cheese, and biscuits (cookies).  A little sweet and a little salt.   Conversation during tea is polite and cheerful.  One must be a master at small talk. 
Another form of tea is when one just pops over to a friend's or neighbor's house during the day or evening and you are offered a cup of tea.  This is a very relaxed time. Put as much sugar in your tea as you like and conversation gets to the heart of the matter, no pretenses here.   I decided to give this a try one day when a neighbor stopped in.  I offered her a cup of tea and some cookies I had made.  "God you're domestic" was her comment.  I found her to be a rather colorful woman as we continued in conversation.  No pretenses here.
I am enjoying my tea with lots of sugar as I learn that different types of people need different formats of finding common ground.  Some people are just built with a formality and others have no pretense.  
Tea for all.
No worries - Kris

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting!
    So is the picture of the cookies you had made?

    We are up at Torch Lake right now, remembering the great time we had with you guys last year!

    ~Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pictures! You are sounding more British as you write each time...someone "rang" you up. It's delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post ! The picture looks to me like Butterfly cakes , small cakes that have the top removed to be replaced with cream, then the top is halved and arranged on top as "wings" . This is a very traditional treat to be served at a morning tea here.A cook would take great pride in these. Only the best tea rooms will serve these , if you can find a tea room now..its all "cafes".
    Hope you enjoy your time here in NZ kindest regards

    ReplyDelete