Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Lollie Cake


One of the things about traveling is the new food one will encounter. I take a risk each time you eat outside my own home. The fear of "Will I like this or will they cook with mayonnaise?" runs through my mind. There are always the good surprises of finding new things I like - such as a fish boil! Part of the adventure is the food. Each coffee drink that I have ordered has put Starbucks to shame. A mocha here is a work of art. Layers of coffee, chocolate and cream, foam on the top and a perfect swirl are a work of art. One does not gulp down this type of drink so I sit and enjoy it. This is a good lesson for me to learn. There have been things that I have not liked so well such as the sandwich with "salad" on it. When I asked what "salad" was they said "lettuce, tomato and carrot". OK, I can handle that - they forgot to mention the beets. Then there was the sandwich where I explained that I wanted it plain, no sauces or spreads. They put butter on it. These aren't big deal things, I just like to enjoy my food. On the Queen's birthday we took a drive to the town with the beach. There is only one restaurant there. The fish and chips were fabulous! On the counter was a glass case with some interesting looking cake in it. When I asked what it was the waitress said "Lollie Cake". We ordered a piece and tried it out. It is a very sweet, heavy cake with pastel colored circus peanuts in it. I am not kidding - circus peanuts! The name just fits the happiness of this desert to a tee. I can't believe I didn't think of this fabulous concoction first!
- Kris

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Kris, it looks like you may get into those coffee shops afterall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Email me the recipe for Lollie Cake and I'll make it for our 1st women's bible study get together in the fall in your honor! Seriously, what are you doing driving? Did you not read my email to you? hee, hee. Love, love, love the blog. Our family is really enjoying staying in touch with you.

    ReplyDelete