Monday, June 2, 2008

Letter 2

Dear Friends,
The first letter sent was written in an internet cafe (my first experience). This second is from my own kitchen, although not on my own computer. My new next door neighbor has been kind enough to let us borrow her laptop for a few days until we can figure out internet on our own. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
The drive from Aukland to Wairoa took 8 hrs. Chad said the last 3 hrs. were some of the most intense driving he had ever done. Add to this the whole left side of the road thing and we were all exhausted when we arrived. Damon and Elena did not do so well with the ride. Seven hrs. into it Damon rolled down his window and puked. On one side of the road was a rock wall and the other side a cliff so there was no place to pull over. I believe an angel was with us along the way. I have never known a mini van to make it 8 hrs. with 750# of luggage, 5 people and 2 bike boxes strapped to the roof on one tank of gas. During the first 4 hrs of the trip there were towns all over the place although none of them were on the map. The second 4 hrs. did not have one town or gas station. The last 30 min. of the trip I was in constant prayer that we would make it as the fuel light had already been on for 30 min. We arrived exhausted and hungry. We stopped at the hospital but they couldn't get a hold of anyone to tell us where the house was or let us in. They sent us to "Funky Food" (I'm serious - that's really the name!) the only place in town still open (it was only 6:30 pm) to get a bite to eat. Someone from the hospital found us there and took us to our new home. Looking at the house by the headlights as we pulled in I said to Chad "We're going to live in a single wide mobile home". Jim showed us in, handed us the keys and left. I looked around and wanted to sit down and cry. The wall paper is from the 60's, the carpet is worn and from the 70's, and the curtains don't match and are from the 80's. The cold water in the bathroom doesn't work, the toilet paper holder is 1/2 falling off the wall and the fridge and drawers are filled with 75% consumed food. I pulled myself together - more for the kids than for myself - brought in the luggage and got everyone into bed. Oh, did I mention that it's winter here and the houses don't have central heat? We started the wood burning stoves but it has taken 2 days to not see our breath in the house.
The next morning we got up and had a good look around. The outside is quite charming. It is a wood sided house painted white. There is a pretty arbor in the front yard with a flowering tree in the middle of it making a nice canopy of shade (Holly - I will try to send you a picture of it, you'll love it!) In the back yard there is a place for a garden, 1 orange tree, 2 mandarin trees, 1 lemon tree & a grapefruit tree. There is also a grape vine. We are mostly unpacked and I have cleaned out most of the kitchen. Chad says he doesn't see the ugly wallpaper anymore and that it now feels like home. I still do. I haven't allowed myself to think of all I have left to do this.
We have gotten to know our next door neighbor, Jackie, a bit. She took me to the grocery store yesterday and has answered lots of questions. I look forward to getting to know her better.
We are doing well and adjusting. God is helping me to see this house as a home. I will write more of our experiences in a few days. Oh, for those of you who were at the airport, could you send me some pictures as my camera card is somehow not working?
No Worries,
Kris & family

No comments:

Post a Comment